Me and Ian attended RubyEast today. It was a good conference, obviously much smaller than RailsConf, but a nice break from working on the startup and a good chance to meet other rubyists. I’ll write up a longer recap later in the weekend but for now I just want to post one quote I found interesting.
Before his presentation Obie Fernandez was asked about the financial incentives for writing a book. He’s a good person to ask as The Rails Way is coming out soon and is pretty much preordained to be a hit by technical publishing standards. His answer:
“I will probably make a quarter of a million dollars a year for the next several years because I wrote the book. Not from the book, but because of it”
What a remarkably candid response.
More Articles on Software & Product Development
- Agile With a Lowercase “a”
- ”Agile“ is an adjective. It is not a noun. It isn’t something you do, it is something you are.
- How Do You End Up With A Great Product A Year From Now?
- Nail the next two weeks. 26 times in a row.
- Build it Twice
- Resist the urge to abstract until you've learned what is general to a class of problems and what is specific to each problem.